President Muhammadu Buhari has given order to the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA), the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), and the entire security agencies to take strong action against owners of depots and filling stations’ owners across the country for sabotaging the petroleum product supply chain.
He gave this instruction in a statement released on Wednesday by Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity.
The President in the statement after receiving and reviewing briefs from all relevant agencies, claimed some people were not behaving properly at the depots, and among owners of petrol stations.
He therefore mandated NMDPR, NNPC and the entire security agencies to take strong action against those responsible.
He noted that his administration had successfully averted such a problem in its seven years in office.
He said, “The administration knows the fuel shortage has placed a strain on Nigerian citizens and businesses, but relief is on the way. I specially apologise to all sections of the society for this,” said the President.
“The government is working round the clock to attend to this issue. An action plan agreed earlier this month is being implemented to address the scarcity. Working together with the Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria (MOMAN) and the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN), this plan is now bearing fruit.
“Sufficient fuel supply has returned to a handful of states, with the queues at stations falling. In the coming days, we expect this to be the case across the rest of the country. Looking to the longer term, funds are being targeted toward keeping fuel availability affordable for the country.
“The international energy markets have surged drastically in recent months, the government will however ensure that consumers are protected against these price spikes.”